Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Striking the Myth of the Press Release
03-06-2015, 04:31 AM
Big Grin Striking the Myth of the Press Release
An artist spends years honing his craft. H-e writes world-class songs and works them in a way that moves his listeners to tears. H-e documents a demo tape and sends it to record labels. He gets a contract and becomes rich, popular and admired.

The lesson: demonstration tapes would be the secret of becoming a famous artist.

Wait, you say, the test tape was just something, just his method of transferring his expertise. It is his ability as a musician that got him the contract and made him popular.

You are right, obviously. He may have become just as popular if a record executive found him in person, or learned about him from a friend, or as a result of a number of other events. Visit military sex assault lawyer to learn when to look at this viewpoint.

Which brings us to the press release.

Somehow, the news release has had on a magical status while the alpha and omega of advertising. Wanna become rich? Send a press release. Wanna become popular? News release. Wanna get o-n the cover of Newsweek? Press release.

Promotion 'gurus' are springing up all over the Internet selling the news release while the solution to all advertising problems. Only knock out a release, large e-mail it to editors, relax and await Oprah to call.

It's a cruel joke.

Listed here is the reality: the press release is no more important to your potential of scoring free publicity than the demo tape was to your artist friend. If he'd no talent, if his songs sounded like trash, the best recorded test tape in the world wouldn't get him signed. Ditto for the publicity seeker. If you do not have a tale to tell, your press release is absolutely useless.

I am maybe not knocking the press release -- it's a vital instrument. But it is simply that: a tool. We found out about intangible by searching Yahoo. It is maybe not the first thing you'll need to take into consideration when it comes time to find publicity. In fact, it is one of the last. And it is not really absolutely necessary (I've gotten plenty of advertising with only a pitch letter, an instant e-mail or perhaps a phone call).

If you worship at the shrine of the press release, it is time and energy to change your priorities. Here, then, are things that are MORE essential than a press release in building publicity:

1. A story. This is actually the equivalent of our musician's talent. It is the basis for your advertising efforts. If you have an opinion about food, you will maybe hate to discover about purchase court martial defense lawyer. Without it, your news release means nothing. To understand about how you can create a newsworthy story, take a look at http://publicityinsider.com/questions.asp and scroll all the way down to 'Is my company/website/life actually newsworthy'?

2. Learning to think like an publisher. Oh, what a side you'll have in score publicity overall these news release worshippers once you learn getting inside the head of a publisher. Give an editor what he wants in the manner he wants it and you'll do good. I have got a complete article on the subject at

http://publicityinsider.com/freesecret.asp Go there now and absorb all of it. Trust in me, it'll make a world of difference.

3. Relevance. Discover additional info on our partner link - Click here: visit my website. Tie-in with a media event, make your-self part of a pattern, piggy-back o-n a larger competitor's story, but, by all means, make your story part of the picture that's bigger than your company. Experiences that exist in a vacuum quickly come to an end of air.

4. Determination. Giving out a press release and looking forward to results is sluggish and ineffective. If you really believe in your history, and you believe that it is right for a specific media outlet, you must fight to make it happen. Call or e-mail the publisher to pitch your story BEFORE sending the launch. If one editor says no, try somebody else. When they all say no, come back at them with another story angle.

Getting coverage involves a lot more than sending out a press release. Treat it as seriously and with as much value as our newly minted rock-star treats his art and you'll be well on your way to success..The Bilecki Law Group, LLLC
737 Bishop Street
Mauka Tower, Suite 1530
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 275-4620
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply