Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The American Accent: Pronunciation Of The Vowels
12-08-2017, 04:35 AM
Big Grin The American Accent: Pronunciation Of The Vowels
Many students of English have a distinct accent simply because they pronounce English with the vowels of their language. They make this mistake because the English vowels are 'something similar to' the vowel sounds of these native language, but they are different!

It's inadequate to hear radio and TV. A lot of people will only hear the sounds of these indigenous language and will not learn how to pronounce the different sounds of the new language including Engl...

The English Vowel SEEMS

Many students of English have a definite accent because they pronounce English with the vowels of these language. They make this error because the English vowels are 'something such as' the vowel sounds of the indigenous language, but they are different!

It's insufficient to hear radio and TV. A lot of people will only hear the sounds of these native language and will not learn how to articulate the various sounds of a new language including English.

It is beneficial to make use of a course with sessions of the language you're learning. A superb one - and also economical - is found at http://www.bookslibros.com/charlesieENGLISH.htm. A more substantial list of resopurces is found in: http://www.goodaccent.com/accentbooks.htm

Let's look at the 'natural' vowels which are present in many languages. They are called pure because they've fixed sound, like this of a note of well-tuned guitar. These vowels are formed with no interference from the lips, teeth or tongue. It's very important to understand that when we talk of the vowels a, elizabeth, i, o, u, we are speaking of the vowel sounds, not of the lettersof the alphabet. This really is extremely important to consider in English since the same letter often represents a different sound in the English spelling. We'll show the sounds by enclosing them in brackets: /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, and the letters in quotes: 'a', 'e', 'i', 'e', 'u.'

In these section, you may get an instant look at the English vowels that sound 'something such as' the vowel sounds represented by the characters 'a', 'elizabeth', 'i', 'o', 'u' in lots of languages. In the remaining portion of the book, we will look at them with more depth and you will also be able to be controlled by them distinct. (For the book but only available in Spanish see: http://www.bookslibros.com/TuCD.htm) We shall also go through the other English vowel sounds that are peculiar to English and aren't found in many other languages.

The following sounds of English are similar (perhaps not the same!) for the sounds /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ in your language.

The English vowel of-the word marijuana is pronounced like the letter 'a' in lots of languages. Learn once and for all that in some words the letter 'o' is pronounced like the 'a' inside your language! That is exactly how it's. If you don't like it, you'll not change the language. It is easier to work at your pronunciation in the start.

The English 'e' within the term Might.

The English 'i' in-the word feet.

The English 'o' within the word goal.

The English 'u' in-the word moon

We'll focus on the five vowel sounds as /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ as represented by the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). These are the pure vowel sounds that are within English just like in many other languages.

The first natural vowel SOUND in English (represented by the letter 'a' in many languages) is represented by the letter 'o' In English. We repeat: you merely really need to get used to the. For example the English term lot is pronounced like it were lat in other languages.

You open your mouth wide when you make this sound. This sound appear in the words father, vehicle, top, pot and is German Vater, achtung, machen, etc, or the same sound as the Spanish words padre, carro, tapa, pata.

This sound is a type of the English vowel sound /o/ (the 'short o ') and not of the /a/. And so the 'o' stands for this sound more regularly compared to the 'a.' To prevent confusion it is good to work with a book that's the designs of the International Phonetic Alphabet, the IPA. Going To visit link probably provides aids you might give to your mother.

Certain, it is always safer to pay attention to an indigenous speaker but sometimes there is no need one around. Like, when you lookup a term in the dictionary you will know the dictionary has the IPA symbols how to pronounce it.

Obtain a good book that uses the IPA such as the 'Longmans Basic Dictionary of American English' or even the excellent 'Collins Cobuild English Dictionary for Advanced Learners' by cutting the correct following extended URL address and sticking it within your browser:

For your Longmans: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For your Collins: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For more on this subject, see: http://www.inglesparalatinos.com

Let us continue to another vowels /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ or rather the sounds in English which are represented by these words.

These sounds in English are not 'pure', as-in a number of other languages, because nearly they often end with another sound. They end up getting a small 'i' or 'u' noise according to which vowel it is. We will have this in more detail. Some teachers state that they've just a little 'tail' at the end. If you have an opinion about police, you will probably fancy to read about see tyler collins seo.

If you pronounce the /e/ sound in English with no small 'tail' at the conclusion, you will perhaps not be pronouncing this sound properly.

In the musical My Fair Lady, the teacher tries to teach the pronunciation of the English /e/ with the phrase, 'The rain in Spain falls mainly on the basic.'

If you make the /i/ sound your mouth is stretched to the sides. Remember this /i/ noise is seldom spelled with the letter 'i' in English.

There is very little 'end' after the sound of the /i/ in English in words including legs, pea.However, the /i/ is slightly longer than in other languages. So you should exaggerate it and you will be almost right.

If you pronounce the vowel /o/ of the word phone (telephone) exactly like the sounds daughter or lot in many languages (minus the 'tail ') you will be speaking with a marked feature. The /o/ sound in English is not pure. You've to complete the vowel with the 'tail' of a little /u/ noise.

You have to experience your lips move as you pronounce the English /o/. They do not stay still as in other languages. As you finish the 'e' sound your lips make a round form as if you offering a kiss.

Similarly to the /i/ sound, there's hardly any 'trail' after the English /u/ sound.

You'll have a rather good pronunciation by just lengthening the vowel.

Your lips are rounded once you make the /u/ sound.

Summary of the English Vowels

The five basic vowel sounds of several languages exist in English but with the following observations:

1. The vowel that's represented by the letter 'a' in lots of languages, more regularly appears in words with 'o.' This sound is pronounced without change in English. Nevertheless, the other vowels, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, each is evident in a specifically English manner. /e/ and /o/ have marked 'tails.' The /i/ ends up in an /i/ sound. And the /o/ finishes with a /u/ noise. The /i/ /u/ don't have tails, but they are lengthened.

2. English spelling has very little regarding the sounds it represents. Or to set up still another way, English isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

The /a/ sound could be the vowel sound of the English word pot.

The /e/ sound (often with the 'tail ') can be spelled several ways: may possibly, consider, they.

The sound /i/ (only a little extended) is used in lots of different ways: feet, pea, field, obtain.

The sound /o/ (with its /u/ end) is represented in these ways: loan, foe, nevertheless, strike, owe.

The sound /u/ (a bit prolonged) turns up under in unforeseen ways in the English words moon and through.

Strange spelling in English! Right? However the spelling in yet another problem! We are going to get to it. For the time, only pay attention to the pronunciation.

One way to remember would be to consider how you design your moth when you speak English. Visiting tyler collins seo information certainly provides lessons you should tell your family friend. Try and imagine that you're smiling when you complete a word that ends with the /i/ sound. When you finish the word May possibly you stretch your lips.

Similarly, make the work to think about offering a kiss if you finish a word that ends with all the /u/ sound. You complete the sound of the /o/ in the word pass puckering your lips as though you were going to blow out a candle or give a hug.

Do not forget! We've been talking of the vowel sounds, not the letters of the alphabet that sometimes represent them. The term foot has got the sam-e /o/ sound as the words get, movement, nevertheless, and love. We'll have a look at spelling a little more in the rest of the guide, 'Leer Es Poder' durante http://www.bookslibros.com/muestra/muestra_index.htm.

You can find pages on Ortografa and Pronunciacin in http:/www.inglesparalatinos.com meanwhile if you read Spanish. You may also get our boletn in Spanish by going to: http://www.eListas.net/lista/leerespoder/alta.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply